Friday, June 27, 2014

a final goodbye...

My precious boy finally decided that it is his time now to cross the Bridge.
The pain is enormous and the end of the pain doesn't look like it is going to be in sight any time soon, but I'm sure what Boy wants is for us to celebrate his life and remember what an awesome kitteh he has been. So amidst the tears, I shall attempt to do that, because that is what I am sure my Boy would expect me to do.

Where do I start? Right from the beginning seems appropriate. 31st December 1993. A scrawny little kitten took a look at me and decided to follow me home. Fitting just into my palm, he was skinny and kept having diarrhoea. It took a long time of tricking him into eating medicine before his diarrhoea finally cleared and some more time before he became the eating machine he is best known for.

Boy is definitely the genius he always claimed to be. He learnt his name in no time, and very soon, could understand pretty much of everything that was said to him, and about him. He was fiercely loyal and the fiercest fighter I ever seen.

How can a single post sum up all these years of memories?

How he bore it all patiently whatever I try to do to him.

How fierce he was to everyone else that even the vet was afraid to touch him, but has never ever even scratched me accidentally. He even plays whapping games with his paws sheathed.
And when the Little One came, how he accepted him and protected him and looked out for him, much as he would always give his snarky you better leave me alone look.
Or the, what have I got myself into look.
How they shared Secret Paws together.
What a precious little kitten he was.

How he would stand there quietly for his shower because I asked him to.
Yes, showering him is the easiest thing in the world as he didn't even need to be held. He would stand there and not move when I asked him to.
How he has to bear with all my silliness and craziness, and how he was there for me every part of my life.
How I would tell him stories and things in my life and how he would sit there and listen like he really understood it all, and how he would lick me to let me know everything's going to be alright.
How he would let me hug him so so tight I'm sure it was uncomfortable, but he just bore with it.
How we would play catching and how much he enjoyed it.

Your arthritis stopped you from running and jumping the way you loved to these past few years,
I hope you are running like how you used to like it now Boy.

I think you decided on your time to cross the Bridge, and you decided on now because you wanted to do it on your own terms. Fiercely, and with dignity, just the way you have always been.

The time is always too soon to say goodbye to a loved one, to my best friend, to my dear Boy.
But I'm glad you went peacefully in your sleep, without any illnesses or pain.

I miss you Boy, and I wish I can hold you one more time in my arms, and kiss you on the nose, and feel you licking me once again. I hope you are running free on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge now and there is every single thing that you love there.

Goodbye my Boy.

14 comments:

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Purrs to you. We are very sorry to hear.

Cats of wildcat woods said...

We didn't follow you until recently on FB but know the heartache of losing a beloved cat after so many years together. Sending your love and light to help you thru. Boy is healthy and young again, waiting for you a the Bridge.

Around Your Wrist said...

From Benjamin Fuzz: Boy, you truly are the genius cat. You knew so much, and you loved so well. I know your Mummy misses you more than you can imagine, and I also know that she is happy for you...that you were able to go the way you wanted to.

From Toni, Ben's mom: Having someone so loved leave--even at the right time--is one of the hardest things to experience. Please please let yourself feel...let the tears fall, let the sadness visit. Be kind to yourself while you feel. And over time, you will feel better.

I am glad you have many years to remember, and that you have written about so many of them. Those memories will help sustain you.

And of course, Ben Fuzz--who purrs deep and low--will send lullabies, comfort songs, and songs to lift you up. He loves to write new songs for his friends...and will sing whenever you want or need him to.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Nancy said...

Goodbye, dear Boy. What a touching tribute. I enjoyed your blog back when I blogged for Jake and Bathsheba. Sending love and sympathy. Hug Beethoven.

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

We're so very sorry to hear the sad news. Thank you for sharing your sweet memories of Boy's long, wonderful life with you. He was a very special cat. We're sending comforting hugs and purrs to you and 'Oven.

Kaz's Cats said...

That's a beautiful post. It's never easy to lose our furry friends. Sending lots of love and kitty purrs to you and 'the little one',

Karen (Mum), Tasha & Buddy

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

I am sorry to hear your sad news. I send my condolences and Flynn sends comforting purrs.

The Island Cats said...

We are so sorry to hear about Boy. He was one of our first furiends that we met when we started blogging. We send you comforting purrs and gentle headbutts.

RIP, Boy...you will be missed.

A few Good Cats said...

Boy was blessed beyond description to spend so many happy years with you. Please know you are in our hearts and our purrayers.

The Florida Furkids said...

What a lovely tribute to Boy. We're so sorry it was his time to cross over the Bridge. We know he'll live forever in your heart.

(((Hugs)))
The Florida Furkids and Mom Sharon

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to Boy. Hendrix and I always enjoyed reading his blog. I'm sure Hendrix was waiting at the Bridge to greet him. (((Hugs))) to you
Mr Hendrix's mommy

Tuxedo Gang said...

We are so sorry you had to leave us Boy! You a very good furiend when we first started Blogging! Me and Mom will miss you!
Hugs,
Samantha & Mom

Jans Funny Farm said...

Dear Boy, we will greatly miss you. You were such a character, so entertaining, and a loveable kitty. R.I.P., dear friend. Hugs, purrs and tail wags for your mom and for 'Oven.

Myst and Blackie said...

Purrs for you & your family.

Boy - make sure you find Ghost & Mia at the Bridge, we are sure they would love to show you a handsome mancat around.